Places of power are places that radiate a very special energy and were used as places of worship as early as the Stone Age. Fortunately, there are also so-called power places in Kuchl, which have a positive effect on people's feelings. Believe it or not, most people feel a special calm and satisfaction in these places.
SPIRITUAL SITE 1: GEORGENBERG, DAUGHTER CHURCH OF ST GEORG
Address Georgenberg 70, coordinates: 47° 38‘ 06“ N - 013° 09‘ 34“ E
The daughter church of St Georg on Georgenberg is a single-nave late Gothic building with a west tower that was erected on the site of several previous buildings. The first recorded mention dates from 1243, and the tower was rebuilt in 1682. The individual phases of construction are set out clearly on the display board of "Kuchl's journey through time".
The conglomerate tower with a pointed spire is in front of the gabled façade and has three round-arch openings on the ground floor. The spiritual site is in the centre of the porch. This alignment of the church with a spiritual site is very common in Istria. Even so, the towers of the churches of St Ulrich in Scheffau am Tennengebirge, St Koloman in St Koloman and St Dionysius in Bad Vigaun are also aligned with spiritual sites. This peaceful spot is ideal for quiet contemplation.
As it is in an exposed location, the church is understandably locked most of the time. However, the wrought-iron railings afford a good view of the interior. The 17th-century marble pulpit on the north side of the church was built on a "site of oratory". The church recognised this natural quality of the site, which improves the preacher's speaking skills and aligned the pulpits towards it wherever possible.
SPIRITUAL SITE 2: SEVERIN LINDEN TREE
Junction of Tischlpointweg/Römerstrasse Süd, coordinates: 47° 37' 57" N - 013° 09' 18" E
Just 400 metres southwest of St Georg's Church, at the junction of Tischlpointweg and Roman road Römerstrasse Süd, is the Severin linden tree, which was planted at a spiritual site. Legend has it that St Severin preached here. This site is also suitable for contemplation. From the Severin linden tree, an 11-pointed geomantic chart leads to the parish church of St Koloman in St Koloman. This geomantic chart proves that the location of the Severin linden tree was an ancient place of worship.
SPIRITUAL SITE 3: MARKET FOUNTAIN
5431 Kuchl, Markt 7, in front of Risslegger bakery and Schnöll butcher's shop
The market fountain by Kuchl sculptor and painter Peter Schwaighofer is situated on a spiritual site in front of Risslegger bakery and Schnöll butcher's shop. The fountain basin is made of an oblong block of stone, with a wide cascade of water flowing into the basin from one place.
SPIRITUAL SITE 4: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PANCRAS
5431 Kuchl, Marketplace
The parish church of St Mary and St Pancras is a triple-nave late Gothic church with a west tower, and is surrounded by a graveyard. As verified by excavations in 1977, the church was rebuilt on the site of two previous Romanesque buildings after a fire in the 13th century. The marble pulpit dates from 1520, and the main body of the pulpit features relief carvings of St John the Evangelist, St Mary with the baby Jesus, and St Matthew. The pillar with diamond ashlar stands on a spiritual site. In addition, the pulpit was aligned towards a site of oratory that enhances the preacher's speaking skills. The combination of a spiritual site and a site of oratory is very rare in a pulpit. A late Gothic octagonal font made of red marble stands in front of the altar over on the right-hand side. The cover with relief carvings depicts scenes from the Old and New Testament, and was made by Jakob Adlhart in 1955.
There is no natural spiritual site where the font stands. Nevertheless, an “artificial energy source” was added to the font cover. This means that a small piece of wax or stone or a water sample that had been placed on another spiritual site was put in a small container and installed in the cover. This method was also used by the Catholic Church to produce the countless relics.
In the absence of a natural spiritual site, the aim was to give the tiny human being as much energy as possible at the start of its journey through life by creating an artificial energy source.
SPIRITUAL SITE IN KÜHSCHWALB
Another mystical spiritual site can be found in Kühschwalb. This was first believed by the Celts; for them, Kühschwalb was a sacred place where this world meets the next. The Lochstein rock next to the Hubertus chapel has long been considered the portal to the Other World.